Trans @ GW

The George Washington University gives voice to our values of diversity and inclusion by welcoming all transgender (gender non-binary, gender non-conforming, gender fluid) students, staff, faculty, alumni, family members and community partners.  We recognize, celebrate and support the unique contributions that people with transgender identities/experiences offer our campus community and the GW educational experience.  All transgender people have a home at The George Washington University and at the Multicultural Student Services Center!

Non-Discrimination Policy

The George Washington University does not unlawfully discriminate against any person on any basis prohibited by federal law, the District of Columbia Human Rights Act, or other applicable law, including without limitation, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the university, including admission to education programs and employment.


For more information, please visit GW’s non-discrimination policy, which includes trans* students, staff and faculty.

Name and Gender Change

At GW, there are two approaches to name change policies available. The first, which is easier, involves changing the name on your GWorld ID Card, on professors’ rosters, and on your GWMail account. The second involves changing it on your transcripts, graduation papers, and other official documents.

If you need any help with these processes, feel our instructions are unhelpful, or could just use some support, please reach out to the Resource Center via email or in person and we’d be happy to walk you through it.

  • Log onto BanweB -> CLICK “Student Record and Registration” ->  CLICK “Student Records Information Menu” ->  CLICK “View/Update Preferred First Name” -> Add your preferred name and save it.
  • Go directly to the GWorld Office in the Marvin Center, bringing your old GWorld. Tell them you’d like to update your GWorld to match your preferred name. They will walk you through the process from there.
  • Send an email to [email protected] requesting your email account be updated to match your preferred name.

Transcripts, Diploma, and Employment Records


In order to change your name on your transcripts, diploma, or employment records, you must legally change your name. After a legal name change is documented, your name can be changed on all official documents. If you are an alumnus, you can also request an updated diploma with your current legal name. For both, you will need to fill out the Request For Name Update form. After the form is complete, bring it to the Office of the Registrar in the Ground Floor of the Marvin Center and a university official will walk you through the rest of the proces


Gender Inclusive Housing

Gender inclusive housing (GIH) is a program offered by the university that allows students who identify as different genders or have a different biological sex to live together in one apartment or room. While this is open to all students, it provides particular utility for LGBTQIA+ student because it allows them to room with people they feel safe around, even if they’re not of the same gender or sex.

All students assigned to a GIH suite must opt-in and have a mutual roommate request. During the housing selection process, students will answer yes or no to the following lifestyle question: “I prefer to live in gender neutral housing." ONLY students who select yes will be opt-in. Students who do not opt-in or do not have a mutual roommate request will continue to be assigned to co-ed buildings by suite, but not to the same room.

While this is available to all students, there is currently not a system in place to help incoming freshman find tolerant or like-minded roommates to best utilize this system. We’re working on it, though.

For more information, visit the GW Housing.


At GW, gender inclusive bathrooms (GIBs) are single-stall restrooms that are available to be used by anyone and everyone. They’re meant to benefit all members of the GW Community, including (but not limited to) transgender people, disabled people, people with children of a different gender, people with attendants, and people who prefer additional privacy. Most of these bathrooms are indicated by a sign that reads “All Gender Restroom” and there are over 100 of them located throughout the Foggy Bottom and Mt. Vernon campuses.


At GW, we have healthcare offerings for trans (and all LGBTQIA+) students in a number of different places. Located in the Marvin Center in the middle of campus, the Colonial Health Center offers physical and mental health services to students. Run by the GW Professional Psychology department, the Center Clinic provides low-cost mental health services and groups for LGBTQIA+ individuals. And finally, the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (located at 21st and G) runs a voice-change clinic for transgender individuals.

DC Trans Resources

Whitman-Walker Health (WWH) is a non-profit community health center that specifically provides service for and with trans* individuals and other gender and sexual minorities.  Services included health screenings, psychiatric care, pharmaceutical care (hormone administration and monitoring), etc.  WWH is located at 1701 14th Street, NW, in Washington, DC. To make an appointment or to inquire about their services, visit them online or call (202) 745-7400.

The National Center for Transgender Equality is a national social justice organization devoted to ending discrimination and violence against transgender people through education and advocacy on national issues of importance to transgender people. For more information, visit them online or call (202) 903-0112.