Name and Gender Change

Name and Gender Change on GW Documents and Email Accounts

At GW, there are two approaches to name change policies available. The first, which is easier, involves changing the name on your GWorld ID Card, on professors’ rosters, and on your GWMail account. The second involves changing it on your transcripts, graduation papers, and other official documents.

If you need any help with these processes, feel our instructions are unhelpful, or could just use some support, please reach out to the Resource Center via email or in person and we’d be happy to walk you through it.

Banweb, GWorld Cards, and GWMail

  1. Log onto BanweB -> CLICK “Student Record and Registration” ->  CLICK “Student Records Information Menu” ->  CLICK “View/Update Preferred First Name” -> Add your preferred name and save it.
  2. Go directly to the GWorld Office in the Marvin Center, bringing your old GWorld. Tell them you’d like to update your GWorld to match your preferred name. They will walk you through the process from there.
  3. Send an email to [email protected] requesting your email account be updated to match your preferred name.

Transcripts, Diploma, and Employment Records


In order to change your name on your transcripts, diploma, or employment records, you must legally change your name. After a legal name change is documented, your name can be changed on all official documents. If you are an alumnus, you can also request an updated diploma with your current legal name. For both, you will need to fill out the Request For Name Update form. After the form is complete, bring it to the Office of the Registrar in the Ground Floor of the Marvin Center and a university official will walk you through the rest of the proces